Feb 15, 2011

Recipe: Corn Cheese Muffins

I am constantly experimenting in the kitchen and coming up with new recipes. Every now and then I come up with something really good, so I have decided to share! First, you need to understand something about my cooking. This is important: I measure nothing! The only exception is when I make cakes and bread and then I actually weigh my main ingredients in grams to be precise. But otherwise, I'm a "just throw stuff in" kind of cook. That said, my recipes are more like guidelines. Adapt them as you see fit! :-)

These little muffins came about as an attempt to broaden my toddler's veggie repertoire. I mean, seriously, what toddler is going to eat onions unless they are very well camoflauged? So, I dumped a bunch of stuff into some mini muffin tins and what do you know? They're fantastic!! Here's what you do:

Group A:
1 small onion finely diced
1 cup frozen corn
steamed smashed carrots (something like 1/3 cup - this is me not measuring!)
1/2 stick of butter

Group B:
2 eggs
1/2 - 1 cup buttermilk (sorry, I just dump. If you really need to measure, split the difference and hope for the best!)
1 1/3 cup self-rising flour (again, give or take some to achieve good muffin batter consistency)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded parmesean cheese
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp dill
1 Tbsp sugar

Sautee Group A until everything is really nice and soft. Don't rush this step. Really get those onions mushy!

Whisk Group B together until just blended - embrace the lumps, they aren't a bad thing!

Dump Group A into Group B and stir to combine.

Bake at 400 until tops of muffins spring back when you poke them. The timing will depend on the size of your muffins. When I made the mini muffins for my toddler, they were perfect after only about 10-12 min. Regular muffins will take a little longer.

You could definitely add other veggies to these muffins. Oh, and if you haven't tried smoked paprika yet, it will totally rock your world!

Happy baking!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails